Delicious Homemade, Quick and Easy Butternut Squash Soup!
I remember my Nan and Mum making Butternut Squash Soup when I was younger. I always looked forward to it despite my dislike for vegetables (which I grew to love!). I decided to attempt it myself for the first time a few months ago around the same time I bought The Delicious Revolution. I always felt like because it was so tastey it would be hard work to make but to my surprise only a few ingredients are needed and the soup is done in no time at all. There are many complicated recipes online but I prefer to use the simple recipe my Mum and Nan have always used.
Ingredients (to serve around four):
- 1 Leak (I usually use around half of a large one)
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 Apple
- Chicken stock (Knor powder stock seems to work best but cubes are just as good)
- Salt and pepper
- Single Cream
- Peel the Butternut Squash and chop into cubes, do the same with the apple and sweet potato. Slice up the leak
- Add Butter to a large pot on the heat and just glaze the leaks ( careful not to burn them, ha ha!)
- Add Butternut Squash, apples and sweet potato
- Make the chicken stock with boiling water (I used a very large mug for this, you more or less play it by ear according to how many people you are cooking for, I’d say I use roughly 550ml of water…)
- Add the stock to the pot and let simmer until the Butternut Squash is soft/ cooked
- Add salt and pepper (as much as you think is best)
- Blend until smooth and thick using a hand held blender or whatever blender you’ve got (I prefer the hand held)
- Add single cream when it is off the heat so it doesn’t curdle (as much as you like I usually use half a pot which is around 80ml)
Hope you enjoy! Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!